Abiodun Amos (left), arrested over
plans to blow up Third Mainland Bridge, in Lagos.
By Evelyn Usman, Dapo Akinrefon and
Ifeanyi Okolie LAGOS
— One of the leaders of a notorious militant
group operating in Ikorodu and Arepo areas of Lagos and Ogun states, Abiodun
Amos, said yesterday, that his group planned to bomb the Third Mainland Bridge
in Lagos because the Federal Government failed to consider its members for
amnesty.
The group had planned to bomb the bridge end of last month before
Amos’ arrest by the Inspector-General of Police Special Intelligence Response
Team, led by Abba Kyari, an Assistant Commissioner of Police, frustrated its efforts.
“We went into bank robberies and kidnapping because we wanted to get
government’s attention and all we wanted was for them to grant us amnesty and
also offer us pipeline protection contract. ‘’We have made several appeals but
government is not listening to us.
‘’General” Ossy (leader of the gang) said if we
don’t blow up the Third Mainland Bridge, government will not listen to us. We
had concluded plans to carry out the attack by November ending. ‘’I am the
group’s explosives expert and before I was arrested we were going into the
creeks to conclude plans on how to carry out the attack.” The suspect, also
popularly known as Senti, said his group was hitherto involved in pipeline
vandalism, noting that it resorted to kidnapping when it became difficult for
its members to continue with the illegal business due to the presence of the
military and policemen. The suspect is a 43-year-old native of Arogbo, in
Ese-Odo Local Government Area of Ondo State. He was arrested by operatives of
the Inspector General of Police Special Intelligence Response Team, IRT, at a
river bank in Majidun area of Ikorodu, Lagos, on Monday. Two AK-47 rifles
hidden inside a bag were found with the 43-year-old suspect as Vanguard
reliably gathered that additional two cartons of explosives, with the words
Gelatine Dynamite inscribed on them, and detonators, were recovered from the
group’s operational saloon car. Amos’ arrest, it was gathered, followed
intelligence generated by office of the National Security Adviser to the
President, NSA, on November 2, 2016, that the group had concluded plans to blow
up the Third Mainland Bridge. Vanguard gathered that the information was passed
on to the Inspector-General of Police, Mr Ibrahim Idris, who subsequently
directed his IRT to commence investigation into the matter. During
investigation by the team, it was revealed that the militants had acquired a
large quantity of dynamite and several other explosives with which to carry out
the dastardly act. Recall that the group in October 2016 carried out secret
illegal operations like pipeline vandalism, kidnapping and bank robberies and
had demanded for amnesty, threatening to disrupt economic activities within
Lagos and Ogun states if the Federal Government didn’t grant their request.
Suspected leader of the militant group, General Ossy (real names not known),
had in recent times, allegedly coordinated many bank robberies and several
high-profile kidnappings, including the kidnap of three school girls at
Babington Macaulay Junior Seminary School in Ikorodu; kidnap of four landlords
at Isheri North Area of Lagos; abduction of Oniba of Ibaland, Oba Goriola
Oseni, among several others within Lagos and Ogun state s. ‘General’ Ossy had
boasted in an interview with Vanguard that his group has over 21 ‘generals’
commanding 7,800 battle-ready boys, adding that the group is rich enough to
fight the Federal Government, having acquired thousands of arms and ammunition
similar to that of the military. He said the arms would be deployed to disrupt
economic activities within Lagos and Ogun states, should the Federal Government
fail to dialogue with the group and grant its wish. Confirming the development,
Force Public Relations Officer, Don Awunah, a deputy Commissioner of Police,
DCP, said: “Yes, an individual was arrested. On sighting the policemen, the
second suspect jumped out of his car and escaped into the bush, abandoning the
operational vehicle. ‘’On searching the vehicle, two cartons of Gelatine
dynamite explosives and hundreds of detonators were recovered in the boot of
the car. Efforts to arrest the remaining gang members are in progress.” It’s
pure insanity — Afenifere Reacting to the development, Pan-Yoruba
socio-political organisation, Afenifere, described the move as insane. Its
National Publicity Secretary, Yinka Odumakin, said: “It is insane for anybody
to hatch such a satanic plot. To what end and in reaction to what? ‘’It is good
they have been arrested .They should be properly investigated for us to know
what their motive was and their likely backers.” Lagos PDP reacts In its
reaction, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in Lagos State, called on the
state government to up its security to reduce crime rate. Its publicity
Secretary, Mr Gani Taofik, said: “Such a plan is evil and can’t be defended. It
must be further verified to remove any doubt and if a proper fact check confirms
it, those arrested must be made to face the full weight of the law. ‘’This is
to now put the Lagos State government on alert to up its security. The APC
government must address the economic and social injustice to reduce these angry
reactions which ordinary citizens now suffer. Taking over Sambisa may now be a
fluke as the Boko Haram may strategically leave there with no loss, into the
cities.
No comments:
Post a Comment