Israel 'reducing ties' with nations over settlements

Israel's foreign ministry has said the country is "reducing" ties with nations that voted for last week's UN Security Council resolution


  demanding a halt to settlement building in Palestinian territory.
Foreign ministry spokesman Emmanuel Nahshon said in a message to journalists that Israel was "temporarily reducing" visits and work with embassies, without providing further details.


Deputy Foreign Minister Tzipi Hotovely said on Tuesday she was concerned that Israel would miss opportunities to explain its position by cancelling visits, but that she supported making clear "you can't take Israel for granted".
Israel has been on the defensive since the vote, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who also serves as foreign minister, denouncing the resolution as "shameful".


Planned visits by foreign dignitaries were cancelled in the wake of the decision, and ambassadors of countries that voted for the resolution were summoned. The US ambassador to Israel, Dan Shapiro, was also summoned after the US abstained from the vote.
Countries should not be able to "make pilgrimages to Israel to learn about fighting terror, cyber-defence and agricultural technologies, and in the UN do whatever you want," Hotovely told army radio.
Israeli media reported that Netanyahu has asked officials to visit the countries that voted for the resolution as little as possible for now.
By deciding not to veto the move, the United States enabled the adoption of the first UN resolution since 1979 to condemn Israel over its settlement policy.
The text was passed with support from all remaining members of the 15-member council. 

No comments:

Post a Comment